Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Money Pit

Sonny stole my heart before I even met her. The concept of a boxer was already ingrained in my heart. But since I got her 38 months ago, she's also stolen my money and almost 100% of my discretionary income.

Do I love her? Absolutely! Unequivocally! She's my buddy when my husband is out of town. She's my buddy when sitting on the couch blogging. She's my buddy when I'm in bed with a migraine. She's my buddy when I'm in bed with a flare-up of Crohn's.

But is she worth it?

I know how many times we've taken Sonny to the vet since we got her. I counted them. One by one. Since our visit on May 26 for more health issues,  Sonny has been seen by Dr E 51 times. FIFTY ONE times. In only 38 months. That means, on average, Sonny goes to the vet MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. I bet you only take your pet to the vet ONCE A YEAR.

You do the math.

It chills me to the bone to realize how much money I've "invested" in my beloved dog. My husband is right. When he looks at Sonny, he calls her his retirement. i used to laugh.

Not anymore. He's right! She's our money pit. She's our  vacation getaway to Bald Head Island. She's our trip to a major league baseball game in a metropolitan city. She's a down payment on a vacation home. She's our wood flooring and granite countertop. She's my new dining room set. She's a new pair of eyeglasses. She's our refinished wood floors in my husband's family home. She's also new kitchen cabinets there.

And she's only 3 years old!

I love her and can't imagine my life without her. But her quality of life is starting to affect MY quality of life. And I just don't know what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment